Monday, September 07, 2009

Kona Countdown - 5 weeks

Well this week was the 'pro' week, take the week off work and train as much as I could without trying to get injured. The idea is really to get a few more bike miles in, having the baby has really put paid to good long 4-5 hour rides that I can recover from and this has been the payoff, so a few more miles now in the run up won't do me any harm and I won't be breaking any records but its good solid endurance with some speed thrown in.

So this week has been

Monday - 4 hour bike, 70 miles inc Cat and Fiddle climb
3000m swim set
Tuesday - 2 hour rollers set working on cadence and form
3000m base build swim
Wednesday - 4 hour rolling bike, 75 miles around IMUK course, 20min brick run
3000m swim speed set
Thursday - 2 hour flat run, steady 8's offroad, keeping form
Friday - Rest Day
Saturday - 1900m swim in 30.30 - 52 mile bike in 2.20
Sunday - Work !! boo

So only about 18 hours but most of them on the bike and I also got to spend a bit more time at home with Kelly and Teya which at this time is important as she is really growing up fast.
What was a little frustrating for me was the time I wasted, finding I had more time at home meant I didn't plan effectively enough to go out and get the sessions done so I could relax and stay at home a bit more, we would get up, mess around, answer a few mails, have breakfast, then think, right must do this or that, then train. I am taking another week off in 2 weeks time and I will be more focused on that week for time and making sure I put aside specific periods of the day to train and rest.



This picture was taken by Carl Barthorpe, full credit for a superb piccie, taken just as the sun was rising over Rutland Water.
This was the triathlon highlight of the week, The Vitruvian, I was only doing the swim and bike in a relay team for Team PSOF but it was a chance to see a few old faces and some new ones as well. Myself and Debbo came 2nd team which was good in itself but it also gave me a chance to test out a 50-odd mile TT before I do one in Thirsk in a few weeks.



 
On a more family orientated high this week, I managed to get time to take my daughter Teya swimming for the first time, I know BAD daddy, I swim all week long and it takes me 4 months to take my own daughter !!! ;-( She absolutely loved it and it was superb to be there.

So for the rest of the this week the plan is to get back to work, train like a muggle and hit the end of the week hard, a 3 hour and a 4 hour ride on consecutive days should sort me out lol ! I have 17 hours planned, in fact the same as last week but I took 2 days off last week, no such pleasures this week, just the one day in Northampton, then back to it.

No comments: