Friday, October 22, 2010

Commitments made. And alcohol !!

Over the last 2 weeks we have committed our lives to events next year. Both very exciting.

Family wise, we have set our wedding date, 9th June 2011. This is going to take a lot of organising, I would like to say on both of us but I can imagine that Kelly will make sure I am toeing the line, so her organising will involve organising me, yes, carnage !!
We are both looking forward to it and with our bridesmaid in waiting Teya growing day by day we will all get to play a large part in the special day.

I have also paid up for the inaugural IM Wales in September 2011. The race is a qualifier for Kona 2012 so lots to do and maybe a bit of luck again and you never know. In last weeks blog I put my thoughts on the way I thought the entry might go, still nothing concrete in terms of competition to really go on as there is only about 400 entries in total, a few names I recognise but early days.

So in order for the year to run smootly I have to make sure priorities are right, the wedding and the preparations come first, managing the various elements to come together for one day will be challenging but we can work together for that for the most part.
The race is important but I can fit training around everything else and its 3 months later in the year so no conflict.

The training is still going well (apart from last week - read below) and to some extent, around 4 months earlier than normal when I would kick start my structured training of any substantial volume or quality.

Mmmm BEER !!

However, over the last fortnight, training has taken on the footie familiar saying of a game of 2 halves. 2 weeks ago at the start of this period I had a few beers on Sunday and decided that Monday would be rest day. So Monday I had another couple of beers on my rest day and this just kicked off the inevitable downward spiral, setting the tone for the rest of the next 6 days.

I didn't want to get up Tuesday to swim as I felt rubbish, so I would train later that day, as I was travelling to Northampton on my weekly round trip I couldn't do 2 sessions, so I bumped one to the next day, and so it went, sessions moving, rejigging the structure, by the time the end of the week came, alcohol, which had been the catalyst to a bad start was then taken over by a hectic week at work and by the end of Friday I had loaded the weekend to 3 sessions on both days !!

As most experienced triathletes know, this is counterproductive, if you miss a session, let it go, so even though I had the best of intentions to keep up my hours I saw sense, I extended my long ride on Sunday and quit being stupid for the rest of the weekend and overloading myself. I also decided to test the following 7 days with an alcohol free week to see the difference.

NO BEER !! Booo

This last week I noticed something else. Obviously no alcohol, but I was waking up feeling like I had had 5 pints. Its just become very obvious how little water I am drinking during the day. I am fueling for the sessions I am doing each day but with the fuzzy head in the morning it can't be anything else other than dehydration. I need to start drinking more in the day as I am probably losing quality out of my sessions by being under hydrated most of the time.

Volume in the last 2 weeks has been standard, 5hrs swimming, 13 hours cycling, 5 hours running. Not bad for the time of year. Its not everything I should be doing, the swimming is needing the extra time in the pool and the running has just started to ramp up a little so its coming together. I am not worried, as I said, its very early in the year and a long way to go, I want to come out of winter firing on all 3 sports and I am heading there.

A few bits of exciting news.

Winterswim is back, for anyone that doesn't know what that is, get over to Toms Williams site to find out.

But, I am still slow in the pool !

Changing your stroke takes some commitment, mine is being tested at the moment, I have my 400m time for #winterswim sorted for Week 1 before the end of the month but I need to put in another effort, I did the 400m effort after a main 2600m set as I didn't want to interupt the session but I will be making a real go at another 400m before the end of the month.
Its a great way to keep the motivation for swimming going over the winter, hence winterswim, I think Tom has his work cut out this year as its popularity has snowballed but the uncommitted (like I was last year) will fall by the wayside to maybe ease the pain a little.

Secondly, Lawrence is moving into the electronic age and we are using Training Peaks from this week. I already use Garmin Connect and can upload all of my training to it and provide him feedback but I have heard a lot of good things about the TP options so I hope its a step in the right direction. I love gadgets and if I had a power meter I would already have started to use this as a training tool but its never too late as they say.

On to next week and the run in to Xmas, yes, Xmas is in the shops already, its not even Hallowe'en and Kelly has a bedroom full of toys for Teya, in fact I think she has finished her Xmas shopping already !

Anyway, more consistent training, less alcohol, more water, new gadgets and an improved winterswim, can't wait.

Rosey.

4 comments:

WildWill said...

A busy year ahead of you then .. I know what tests like cos I got married 5 weeks before IMDE 2006 ... at least you won't have time to get into any trouble


WW

Pit Stop Crew said...

Good blog Nick. So what's the long term future of beer? In scope or not? Maybe some thoughts in the next blog!

PSC

Rosey said...

PSC, long term view of beer is something I now try to plan a bit like my training, I know how it affects me so I don't do it when I have a big day ahead. However I am also of the opinion that a little of what you like is good for you.

I won't be stopping drinking it, lets put it that way ;-)

Rosey said...

Cheers Will, busy schedule, priorities set, work pays the bills so wins, Kelly is a very close second to the bill payer and then the training comes in next. I know my place !